06 April 2009

Artist Statement -- In progress!

The urge to create is something I have felt since I was a little girl. As long as I can remember, it has been a part of my life; From a crude but admittedly adorable Crayola marker portrait of my grandparents to busy compositions of street chalk reaching every inch of the driveway. It always brought me a great sense of satisfaction to see the mixed reactions of my family who seemed suprised, yet pleased. At the risk of appearing anti-social, there was simply no better way to spend a warm afternoon than on the rough pavement, covered in chalk.

Although much of my experience lies in what might be called fine art, I am working towards a career involving computers. I feel as though digital art is limitless as a medium, offering fascinating possibilities for ideas. Depending on our perspective, computers are either a fertile or sterile medium for creativity. Like art itself, what it really boils down to is opinions. Whatever the influence may be, we assign and attach meaning according to what we deem to be worthy. Does a palette of programmed colors stifle creativity, or do the infinite possibilities promote it? There is no correct answer, only opinions.

3 comments:

  1. i liked your presentation "warm up" today, i think your comment on your butterfly pistol piece was strong, and also how people should own guns, i also agree with that, because i think gun control is important but so are our liberties...besides any sixteen year old can own a car which in my opinion is more dangerous than a gun...and the butterfly idea, makes me think if guns and butterflys are connected...or not?

    ReplyDelete
  2. thanks! i wasn't sure if i was going too far by mentioning my stance on that, so i'm very glad to hear your feedback.

    i agree with you that cars are just as dangerous as guns, if not more so.

    i wouldn't consider myself a gun advocate, because i think some of the regulations are critical... but knowing criminals are going to ignore laws only take guns out of the hands of people like you and me. peaceful, law abiding citizens are rendered defenseless, fragile.. like a butterfly.

    ReplyDelete
  3. good...that is some deep stuff...you see if every artist that i ever met (and tried to write about ) could do what you just did, i wouldnt have to, well try to think that hard..ever!

    ReplyDelete

Followers